Church History

Elder C.A. Ashworth moved the Rhodes Avenue Church of God In Christ congregation to 355 Wooster Avenue.  The third Sunday in August 1944, the members marched from 793 Rhodes Avenue up Wooster Avenue to 355 Wooster Avenue.  The church was given its name Wooster Avenue Temple by the Pastor and two of the young ladies of the church, Sister Deborah (Walker) Scruggs, and Sister Mattie (Smedley) Mosely.

In the fall of 1946, Mother Susan Crittenden moved to Akron.  The early part of 1947, Mother Crittenden, had a revival at our church and many young women and men were saved who have since moved on to be Pastors of Holy Trinity COGIC, Pentecostal Temple COGIC, Garden of Prayer COGIC, and Unity Holiness Ministries.

After 32 years at the 355 Wooster Avenue location, on February 23, 1976, due to urban renewal, Wooster Avenue Temple moved to 774 Raymond Street for temporary worship until a permanent place of worship could be found.  A plot of land was purchased and on June 5, 1977, a ground breaking ceremony was held at the new site, 1086 Wooster Avenue. In the interim, however, on February 5, 1978, Wooster Avenue Temple merged with the congregation of Holy Trinity Church of God In Christ on Howe Street.  Services were held jointly there while the new building was under construction.

On September 24, 1978, Wooster Avenue Temple moved to and held its first service in the Lower Auditorium of the newly constructed building.  On September 14, 1980, the congregation dedicated the New Sanctuary which has since been renamed to St. Ashworth Temple Church of God In Christ where Elder Robert E. DeJournett is the current pastor.

MILESTONES

1921 Elder Richardson started COGIC in Barberton, Ohio

1924 Storefront in Akron on Furnace & Howard Street

793 Rhodes Avenue church was built, Elder T.M. Young, Preacher

1930 Elder R.F. Williams, Interim Pastor

Elder H.TG. Christian, Appointed Pastor

Elder R.F. Williams, Interim Pastor

1937 Bishop C.A. Ashworth, Appointed Pastor of Wooster Avenue Temple COGIC

1944 Left Rhodes Avenue and marched to 355 Wooster Avenue

1976 Left 355 Wooster for 775 Raymond Street

June 5, 1977, Ground Breaking, 1086 Wooster Avenue

1978 Left 774 Raymond Street for 1086 Wooster Avenue

1991 Elder L.C. Walker, Appointed Pastor of St. Ashworth Temple COGIC

October 14, 2008, Elder Richard A. Bradford was installed as the 3rd Pastor in succession

Elder Richard A. Bradford Retired June 2015.  He is currently the Pastor Emeritus 

December 5, 2015, Elder Robert E. DeJournett, was Installed as the 4th Pastor in succession

arrow